Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Shaped Cards, a short visual tutorial.

Hey ya'll!! I thought I'd post a short tutorial on how I make a shaped card using Spellbinders Nestabilities. I've had several ask me how I made the cards using the Labels 23 from SB, so using that shape as an example. About a year ago, I believe it was, Gina K did a video on StampTV that had a shaped card in it, she used an oval shape I believe it was. Here is the card I have made for today to show you:


This card also uses yesterday's color challenge on SplitCoast Stampers, Night of Navy, Bashful Blue and Crumb Cake (didn't have the crumb cake so used kraft from PTI). This shaped card also uses Grand Labels and for this size I used the smallest shape in the set:



First, cut out 2 labels for the front and the back of the card base. (And I only emboss the top of the card base, not necessary, I just like that look! :D) Here I have cut out some extras because its in the design of the card:


Next, score the label cut out that will be the backside of the card. With this label shape, be sure and get the edges that I have arrows at flush against the edge of the scor-buddy and then I scored at the 1/2 inch mark:


This is after scoring:


Prefold the scored line using the bone folder:



Add Scor-tape...I used 1/4 inch here.


I lay this piece flat now simply because it's easier to attach in this way for me:


And here are the two pieces attached:


To make the middle band, I simply cut the dark blue and light blue shapes, the light blue slightly smaller than the dark by lining up like this on my cutter:


And the two pieces attached together:


Then to finish up the card, I did some sponging around the edges with the shapes put back in the labels die I used. Also for the stamped image I used markers to color then stamp and then cut out with circle nesties and layered it on a lacy circle nestie. Tied a ribbon around the middle band and then attached everything...I did a bit of paper piercing too there, seemed like it needed something else! LOL!

Ok, that's all for today! Hope you enjoyed my little short tutorial on a shaped card! Thanks for stopping by and hope you have a wonderfully creative week!
blogsig
Card Details:
Stamps: Fresh Start from Gina K Designs
Papers: SU! and PTI cardstocks
Accessories: Grand Labels 23, circle, oval and lacy circle nesties all from Spellbinders, SU! markers, pop dots, ribbon, scor-tape, scor-buddy, paper piercer and pad.

1 comment:

Auntie Em said...

Your card is lovely! Great tutorial. I love shaped cards and this makes it look quite do-able.
Thank you for sharing! :)

Blog Archive